At ECC we use the reading scheme Accelerated Reader (AR) to support reading for all students from years 7-10. The National Literacy Trust reported that students are more likely to see a link between reading and their successes when they are fully engaged with the scheme.
- Teachers monitor progress as students move through the AR reading levels, whilst earning points that are converted into prizes. There are hundreds of books in each level (ZPD) and they are easily identifiable from coloured stickers on their spines.
- A star reading test is taken once a term to adjust ZPD levels according to individual progress. Every lesson, in all subjects, start with reading therefore students are expected to have an AR book in their school bag every day.
- English homework is reading for 20 minutes a day which enables students to maximise improvement.
- Students have dedicated AR lessons in the library once a term where they have the opportunity to ask questions, get helpful tips and have 1:1 assistance from our librarians to support their engagement in the Accelerated Reader Scheme
- Students have individual accounts that they can access through RM Unify both in ollege and at home to take their quizzes ( https://exmouthcollege.rmunify.com - click on the orange Accelerated Reader tile). It's easy to log on if required in the following way:
Use name: firstname.surname
- Students can use books that they have at home and can check if they have a quiz and what level they are at Accelerated Book Finder: https://arbookfind.co.uk
Find out more about Accelerated Reader here:
The AR scheme is a simple 5 step process for students to follow.
Have a look at the attachment below to see the rewards students can earn.
In addition, 'Word Millionaire' badges are awarded to students in recognition of their achievements.
If you would like to talk to our librarians about the AR scheme please contact us.